Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Coming Up!

Just wanted to let all of you know, I'm almost done with my recap of my talk!  All I have left to do is I've decided to try and make a brief video with a sort of summary of my talk to go along with the Prezi presentation, because I figured just having the image slideshow wouldn't make much sense!  So I'm hoping this video making experiment will go well, and if not I'll just post a written summary of sorts.

I also have a few more posts in the works which should be up soon, but as the end of the semester is dawning I've been really busy with class!

I've also been working on a new presentation on the place of religion in the reading of fairy tales which I'll be presenting in my Grimm's Fairy Tale class, which has been a lot of fun so far! I'm focusing my talk on two classic fairy tales (Faithful Johannes and one that's still TBD), a work of illustration (Trina Schart Hyman's Snow White), a film (Snow White and the Huntsman) and a new retelling (A Tale Dark and Grimm)! And I wanted to say thanks to Adam Gidwitz for some great feedback for my presentation and point all of you to his essay called, "In Defense of Fairy Tales" in which he wonderfully melds discussion of a critical view of fairy tales with the practical use of them as well by way of his experiences teaching and telling these stories to kids! Here's the link to his essay: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/10/14/the-forest-beckons-the-magic-of-real-fairy-tales/  And there's also a great interview with Adam and Monica Edinger over at her blog Educating Alice: http://medinger.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/adam-gidwitz-on-spooky-spooky-fairy-tales/

Classic Fairy Tale: Grimm's Faithful Johannes
Work of Illustration:  Trina Schart Hyman's Snow White
Film: Snow White and the Huntsman
New Retelling: A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz



No comments:

Post a Comment